Learn something new in 2022…Beekeeping

On New Years Eve of 2021...I decided to create a motto for the new year "Learn Something New in 2022!"  
My something was beekeeping.  I have always been interested in beekeeping but always felt like I didn't have the time to learn how to do it.  I connected with some other beekeepers who lead me to a group called Lorain County Beekeepers.  I took classes every Friday night in March and April where I learned the basics, bought my hive, and a package of 10,000 worker bees and one Queen, who I named Beyonce, from California. 


At the beginning the bees were so peaceful and calm.  They would climb all over my body and face without needing to wear protective gear.  As the summer progressed and their honey drive became strong they grew more aggressive and protective of their honey.  I always wore my protective gear and at times would get stung through that. 
Everyone in the family took time to come down with me once a week to check on the status of the hive and be sure that the Queen, Beyonce, was still laying eggs. 



I have learned so much about the life of a honeybee and it is so amazing all the things that they do for us.  When I saw them creating honeycomb, then filling it with nectar, then flapping their wings to pull the moisture from the nectar and sealing it up as honey I was in complete awe. 



After awhile once Bob overcame his fear of bees, it became our little date to go over and check on the bees together!  

As the summer progressed I had to get more boxes with frames for them to build on.  They were hard-working bees. 







In early August, I connected with my mentor, Daryl Baker, who has a honey hut where he harvests the honey and he invited me over to harvest an early summer batch.  I was over the moon excited. 


I harvested 7 frames front and back of honey using his heated knife to cut off the caps from the honeycomb and then we placed them into his honey spinner and spun the honey out. 




The honey was so light and fresh!  I shared this with everyone who wanted to try it.  It was "raw honey" meaning that it is fresh from the comb without filtering it. 

Amy was in town for a few days and I got her suited up and ready to help check the bees. 


When Bob was gone for work, Dana even got brave and helped me with bees too!









The part I struggled with was finding a good pair of gloves that I could still be able to move my fingers in without getting stung through them.  When I get stung I swell up quite a bit for the first 2-3 days. 

I lucked out and was able to find a brand new honey harvester for $35 on the auction regular price is $250.  It was a manual hand crank spinner but we made it work.  I harvested 15 frames full of honey can got 27lbs.  






It has been so much fun learning something new in 2022...keep your fingers crossed that my bees make it through the Ohio winter so they can continue to make honey in 2023. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No more diapers

Nolan's First Bath and a Visit from Grandma and Grandpa Boone

Potty Master and No Nap Magee