5k in the books

Around the start of the year Bob and I talk about our new year resolutions and goals for everything (our house, our careers, our personal, etc) and we write it all down.  Carter heard us talking and wanted in on making his own goal.  His goal: "I want to run a race with you mom." And what do you say to that other than..."Of course I will."
I would like to say that we have been diligently training for this big race but nope...just once was the weather nice enough to run together outdoors. Above is the lucky photo snagged on our one running trip out.  I know what you are thinking...How could I sign us up for a race without teaching him the importance of training? I agree with you but I did.

I came across a flyer for 5k being held at BGSU Firelands for a family who lost their infant daughter. It called to me and I felt that it was the race for us.  I signed myself up and thought that since we hadn't trained that Carter could jog along as long as he could manage.  

The night before Carter and I were talking about the race and how it was going to work. Landon asked to join us.  Why not???  We showed up and began stretching! I was very nervous about how the whole thing was going play out but was hoping for the best.


Pre-race photo!

We stood at the starting line listening to rules and hearing about how much of a muddy mess the trail was and the boys were more than giddy to run through the puddles.
The race began and off they ran as fast as they could.  I was already struggling to catch up with them. Then Carter started to walk and I said, "Hey Buddy do you think that your pace was a little too fast at the beginning?" "Yes," he said but then took off running.  I never saw him again until the finish line.  Landon ran about 100 meters in front of me the whole race.   As I jogged/walked and panted through the whole race, I had a moment where I was so proud...so proud of these boys for the challenge they accepted and how hard they were working to reach that goal.  That's all we hope for, right!

Bob and Nolan walked around cheering us on. He even showed Nolan where we were married.  He told me about it later on that night at dinner.

We all crossed the finish line.  It's in the books our first 5k together.  

It was a muddy mess but worth every ounce of sweat.  I can't wait to run many more races with these little guys!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No more diapers

Nolan's First Bath and a Visit from Grandma and Grandpa Boone

Potty Master and No Nap Magee