Mini Christmas Getaway

Since I am off for break and Bob's factory has shutdown for the holiday we take advantage of this time together by getting away.  Bob booked a place in Pennsylvania for us to enjoy.  It was just 3 hours away, close to hiking trails, a pool, and relaxation!


We left Saturday afternoon and drove three straight hours to this townhouse.  On our car ride  there, I itched my hairline and when I looked under my fingernail there was a louse.  Oh, yes…this school year I have two students whose family have difficulties with head lice.  Earlier in the year I had 5 eggs (nits) in my hair but now there were live ones.  Many might say, "What did you do?"  We were mid road trip so I instantly tied up my hair and jumped in the backseat to look through the heads of the boys.

Once we made it to the townhouse we jet out to grab groceries and lice treatments for everyone!  After 2 hours of picking through our scalps like monkeys at the zoo the end result was 20 live lice in my hair and 5 in both Carter and Nolan, everyone else was lice free!  I sprayed down all the car seats, coats, and stuffed animals.  I put the coats, hats, and stuffed animals on the back porch to air out for the night. When we woke up it had poured down rain and soaked everything.



Before we went to bed, Bob surprised us with a bonus gift.  He had made hotel arrangements for one night in New York City.  We would get up early and drive 4 hours to sightsee in the big city. I was so excited to show the boys the skyscrapers, time square, statue of liberty, and so much more.  At 3am Landon woke up and came into the bedroom just radiating heat.  Minutes later he threw up and was shaking.  I slept with him on the couch in the living room.  When everyone else got up, he still had a fever and threw up.  The game time decision for the plan for the day was Bob, Angie, and Carter head out to NYC and I stay back with Landon and Nolan.  Right before they left, Landon threw up on me and him.  We quickly jumped in the bath tub and Nolan wanted to join us too.  After everyone was scrubbed up, I got Landon out, dressed him, and laid him on the couch. When I went back to the bathtub, the water had drained, and Nolan was covered in poop.  He had pooped in the tub and stood in it.  I know you might think I made this all up but it is real! Being a mom comes with so many unique situations that you can't even imagine to ever prepare yourself for.

Pictures Bob grabbed in New York:

After the trio returned from their journey, we ventured out to look for elk.  We jumped out at a little place by the river to explore and hope to see these huge beasts.  Once we jumped out we realized that everyone had a coat except Nolan…didn't win parents of the year award that day.  Bob and I took turns keeping him wrapped up like a burrito to keep him warm.  You can see from the photo below that he didn't mind the cold...

We were lucky enough to catch a look of some elk really close.  Angie, bravely jumped out of the car to get a closer look.  We waited safely in the car just in case they would charge toward her. Bob said she would survive. 

On New Year's Eve Day, we took the kids to Fun Central which had everything the kids needed to let loose…climbing structures, laser tag, and glow putt putt. Our friend Mike, from Michigan, grew up in the next nearest town and was home for the holiday so he met us there.  The boys were so excited to see him and drag him into the laser tag arena. When they came out from playing the boys were sweat hogs…the big boys (Bob and Mike) included!

New Year's Eve celebrations have changed for us over the years but check out these cuties in the tub and you would celebrate with us too!  An official New Year's Eve Bath was complete with bubbles and glow sticks.
We even used "shaved" off 2014!!!  A teacher from school recommended grabbing these shaving kits for kids for the boys…they were so silly.

The indoor pool at the resort was freezing.  The workers mentioned that the pool heater was on its last leg and they weren't kidding…brrr.  Bob and I are a tight team but there are parts of the game that we each play.  I will ride spinning rides and up and down rides but when it comes to swimming in cold water, Bob steps up and takes one for the team.  Oh, how I love him for this!


They all lasted about 30 seconds in the ice cold water.
 Now back to the resort when we played as many games as we could…I can't get enough of the time we get together as a family.

Now wait, don't freak out…yes, Carter is holding a sparkler.  My anxiety was a little through the roof but I am  super close ready to pounce if anything happened.  Carter thought he was a dare devil being able to hold it on his own.  Nolan was a little scared at first.  He wanted to hold it by himself just like his big brother but cried because I wouldn't let him.



 It was a night full of silliness!
 Family Dance Parties and Wii Bowling!


Let's Ring in 2015!

At the end of every year Bob and I like to sit back and talk about all that has happened and we are just so grateful for these three amazing boys and for all of our family and friends.  We are truly the lucky ones!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No more diapers

Nolan's First Bath and a Visit from Grandma and Grandpa Boone

Potty Master and No Nap Magee